You may have seen this word scattered around your Pinterest page, or maybe you heard it mentioned on HGTV. The hype about this word is real. The word is “Hygge”. Hygge is a design style that creates an atmosphere that evokes feelings of coziness, warmth and ease.
Don’t let us bore you with the definition, instead, we have our Hygge expert, Katie from the Katie Normal Girl Show. She paints the perfect picture of what the Hygge lifestyle really means.
You can bring the Hygge style into your home in many ways, even into your outdoor spaceOpens in a new window.
Comfy textures, soft seating, warm wood and natural touches. What more could you want? How about a yummy drink infused with the essence of HyggeOpens in a new window ? This horchata recipe will have you feeling warm and comfy, inside and out. Opens in a new window as we
Here are our favorite drinks for this cozy season:
- 1 c. white, long-grain rice (uncooked)
- 1/2 c. roughly chopped almonds
- 1 cinnamon stick broken into pieces
- 2/3 c. sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 c. almond milk (alternative options: 3 c. milk OR 1.5 c. milk with 1.5 c. almond milk)
- 5 c. water (or 3 c. water if serving with ice)
- Caramel Apple Latte (in any size cup, when filling leave room for stirring): fill cup approx. 2/3 with apple cider, fill remaining 1/3 with horchata, stir in 1-2 tsp of warm caramel (to taste), top with a dollop of whipped cream, an extra drizzle of caramel and a sprinkle of gingersnap dust.
- Spiced Tea Latte (in any size cup, when filling leave room for stirring): fill cup approx. 2/3 with tea, fill remaining 1/3 with horchata, use a cinnamon stick to stir in 1/2 – 1 tsp of gingersnap dust, leave cinnamon stick in cup while drinking for an extra hint of warm, cinnamon spice.
- Chocolate Horchata Latte (in any size cup, when filling leave room for stirring): fill cup approx. 2/3 with horchata, stir in 1-2 tbsp (to taste) of cocoa, once blended add 1 dollop of whipped cream and use a cinnamon stick to stir it into the chocolate horchata, fill rest of cup with plain horchata and top with additional whipped cream if you’d like it!
You can take your drink to the next level with these toppings:
- Use whole cinnamon sticks to stir warm horchata, tea, or apple cider
- Sprinkle some cocoa powder on top of a cup of horchata for a hint of chocolate flavor or stir in 1-2 tbsp (to taste) of cocoa for a unique hot horchata chocolate
- Drizzle 1-2 tsp (to taste) of warm caramel into a cup of horchata, tea, or apple cider for a hint of sweetness
- Sprinkle gingersnap cookie dust into a cup of horchata, tea, or apple cider for a hint of warm spice
- Add a dollop of whipped cream to horchata, tea, or apple cider for an extra hint of sweetness and creaminess
How do you hygge? Share your secrets for creating a cozy atmosphere with us below. And don’t forget to post your photos using the hashtag #MyAshleyHome.
For more lifestyle tips and hacks, visit the Normal Girl Show.Opens in a new window